Before                                                             After

monterossobis

 

 

On the night of 22nd March, 2013 a part of the retaining wall (about 22 m) that supports the orchard of the Convent of the Capuchin Friars of Monterosso al Mare collapsed. The wall was built on the rocky coastal side of the hill that separates the nucleus of the old town centre from the Fegina area. The retaining wall belongs to the original structure of the convent and presumably dates back to 1600. In time it has been modified in several points. The part that collapsed was about 10 m high and was built in stone and mortar. The landslide caused about 200 cubic metres of debris from the wall and involved part of the land where the convent orchard is located. The debris settled on the underlying road which connects Fegina and the old town centre. 

mr3

mr4

mr5

mr6