A historical and artistic treasure in the Cinque Terre

 

benvenuto2The convent of Monterosso al Mare, property of the Order of Capuchin Friars Minor of the province of Genoa, has always been a landmark both for the local community and for visitors to the Cinque Terre.

 

From the history of Monterosso, it is clear how the Capuchin Friars have always been part of the community and a reliable spiritual reference. The Monterosso population has always loved and respected the Convent, which, together with the Sanctuary of the Madonna of Soviore, represents a deeply intense reference point of devotion.

 

Local residents have always had a particular veneration for this site. It has always been held in great reverence and is greatly loved by the population.

 

It overlooks the Monterosso Bay and is located on the promontory that separates the ancient part of the town from the Fegina locality, which has sprung up in recent times.

 

The convent is visible from all parts of the Cinque Terre and is a prime attraction for tourists, thanks to its historical and artistic treasures. They are reminiscent of the 1600 building in Capuchin style, with the altar and choir in wood. Among its works of art is a "Crucifixion", attributed to Van Dyck and "Saint Girolamo the penitent" by Luca Cambiaso. The refectory with its vaulted ceiling features Strozzi’s "Veronica". The convent has maintained the characteristics typical of the time of its origins, in addition to the sublime view invites contemplation.

 

The convent is mentioned in all the historical and artistic guides of the territory, both in Italy and abroad, and along with the Cinque Terre, is part of the UNESCO patrimony.

 

mr3

mr4

mr5

mr6